Staging your home for every stage of your life


This is a place where home staging principles can be applied to anyone's home - whether selling or not. Please add your comments, share with friends, and feel free to ask questions on how you can live, entertain, and thrive in your home, no matter what stage you are in.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Art of Smell

It is important to remember that staging a home isn't just about looks -- it is also about smell. Think of cinnamon and all of those times when you smell it - the holidays, family times in the kitchen, sitting around the table with friends, making cookies. Same with the smell of freshly cut grass - kids soccer games, backyard parties. How about green apple - summertime as a kid running around with friends, or my favorite, baking an apple pie. Now think about those times when you walked into a friends home and you smelled wet dog, teenagers shoes, fish that had just been cooked. Whether we like it or not our brains register smell faster than it does a nice looking home.

I am not sure what people did before Febreze. I live by this stuff. It is for fabric, the air, even carpets. I have even been known to use it on my dogs when they are really smelly. (Don't worry they are like walking carpets so it is fine once in a while.) It is the best neutralizer I have found. But after that, just like in getting dressed, I accessorize. I love to add lavender scented oil. Or citrus, gentle florals, pine for the winter, or soft vanilla. Nothing that is going to overwhelm the olfactory senses, just bring about pleasant thoughts so that the brain can focus on the beautiful home.

I truly love the smell of lavender, and I always have a jar around the house just to rub my fingers through the dried flowers to release the smell into the air, and onto my hands. It reminds me of love.

Regular candles are great for your own home, but when I stage I will buy those plug in fresheners. Or what I have come to really like are those essential oils in the jars with the sticks that soak up the oil and release it into the air. It is great for a bathroom. And the oils last a lot longer than a candle. Just make sure not to use too many sticks or the scent can be too strong.

There are so many memories made from the simple art of smell.

No comments:

Post a Comment